Welcome and Welcome Back!
It was with great joy that we welcomed our students back, officially starting the 2019-2020 school year.
This year’s theme “Be here, Be you, Belong” will accompany us in the many planned activities, helping us to reinforce the meaning and sense of belonging to our school community.
If you want to stay informed about the innumerable ISC activities and the educational issues concerning our school, I invite you not to miss the bi-weekly editions of the newsletter where you will always find:
- My introduction on items that concern the life of the entire school community and the educational themes we are studying.
- A section edited by Ms. Jane Whittle concerning the initiatives planned in the Early Years and Elementary school sections
- A section reserved for Secondary School published by Mrs. Nicole Pearce
- A section dedicated to the communications of our active PTA (Parent Teacher Association)
Once each term you will also find sections on the curriculum, specifically the PYP – Primary Years Programme – by Ms. Jane Whittle, the MYP – Middle Years Programme – by Ms. Karen Lockett, the DP – Diploma Programme – from Mrs. Nicole Pearce.
I am glad to have made contact with all our families in the first days of school. In particular, I extend my warm welcome to all the families of new students who have joined ISC this year. I am truly proud to welcome 37 new families, with 37 new students in the PYP classes and 23 in the Secondary School.
This year the school calendar includes 179 days of school divided into three terms:
- 3 September – 20 December: first term
- 7 January – 9 April: second term
- 20 April – 19 June: third term
I invite you now to take note that Saturday 9 November will be a normal day of lessons for students of all sections of the school. The lessons will take place until 13:45 and on that occasion, the classes will be open to external visitors as well. This half-day is counted among the regular lesson hours.
Collaborative Planning Afternoons: Lessons end at 13:00 on five Fridays throughout the year as all of our teachers busy with collaborative planning afternoons, as is required by the International Baccalaureate (IB) standards: 18 October, 29 November, 24 January, 06 March, 24 April.
There are no lessons during the following holiday periods:
- October 28 – November 1 : Half term break
- December 21 – January 6 : Winter break
- February 17 – February 21 : Half term break / Ski week
- April 10 – April 19 : Spring break
- May 1 : National Holiday
- June 1-2 : National Holiday
The calendar with all the events scheduled in the first Term will be uploaded shorty on the Managebac platform.
Leadership Team – office hours
Staying in contact and maintaining an open channel of communication with our families is a priority at our school. I encourage you not to hesitate to get in touch with your children’s teachers if you have doubts, questions or in the event that you need support. In the Welcome Booklet, you can find the email addresses of each teacher. Teachers can also be contacted through the Managebac platform, which many of you have used in the past years.
If you need to bring any issues or questions to the attention of the Leadership, you can make an appointment on the following days and times via the front desk or by sending an email to the Didactical teaching office firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ms. Jane Whittle for the Primary section (Early Years and Elementary) on Mondays from 08:45 to 09:30 & 15:00 to 15:45, Wednesdays from 15:00 to 15:45, and Thursdays & Fridays from 08:45 to 09:30
Mrs. Nicole Pearce for the Secondary section (Middle and High School) on Monday and Friday from 08:40 to 09:30 and Thursday from 14:30 to 15:45.
Ms. Karen Lockett specifically for the MYP Curriculum on Monday from 09:30 to 10:20, Thursday from 14:10 to 15:30 and Friday from 08:45 to 09:30.
Ms. Emanuela Ferloni for all the issues related to the organization and life of the school community – Wednesday and Thursday from 08:50 to 10:00, Monday from 15:00 to 16:00.
First Events of the Year
The first activities of the busy ISC calendar of events are aimed at fostering mutual knowledge and forming a solid TEAM. We work a lot in teams at ISC, sharing challenges and successes. We want to intentionally offer and reinforce this collaborative model with our students, young and old. Soon you will be able to meet the class and subject teachers, in the various meetings organized for the different sections.
- 6 September – 15:30 Grade 7 parents welcome meeting
- 9 September – Fire drill practice
- 9 September – PYP Grade 2-6 Back to school night at 18:00
- 10 September – Parent Coffee morning followed by PTA chairs meeting SLT
- 11 September – EY back to school night at 18:00
- 11 September- Secondary student Bonding trips
- 12 September- PTA meeting with homeroom reps
- 13 September – PTA aperitivo off site
- 17 September- Secondary Back to school night at 18:00
- 17 September – PYP parent workshop
After-school activities & clubs
This year we have a wide selection of after school activities and clubs that are primarily run by our teachers. I invite you to read the communication that has been sent and to encourage your kids to take part in the trial sessions.
Our after school coordinator is Mr Leon Hutchinson. You can contact him at the following email address email@example.com
My best wishes to all of you for a peaceful year, one full of rich learning experiences and successes. As always, it is an honor to lead ISC, where students are our priority, the center of all of our choices and decisions and a source of inspiration.
Head of School