What fun they had, breaking up the teacher!
ASIMOV – The Fun They Had – virtually our story
- The story is set in the future in a “virtual society” like the one we are experiencing now due to the Coronavirus.
- The story shows the consequences of a world that has forgone books.
- I think, due to our current situation, we are leaving them too.
- In the short story, classroom education has been replaced with instructors that teach each student at home, 1 to 1.
- In our situation, students participate at virtual classes almost every day.
- Especially the DPs, they sometimes have 1 to 1 lessons virtually.
School? What’s there to write about school?
- Virtual school has nothing to do with the “Old kind of school”- as cited in the story
- The Virtual School has become our reality so quickly. You have to adapt and do school in this ‘’technological way’’ that could be a bit difficult to understand at the beginning .
- Our virtual learning, during the “first weeks of adaptation”, was sometimes complicated to follow. Everything (up to now), has relied upon technology and Wi-Fi.
- Technology problems are always frustrating, but if they take place in the middle of your virtual class, they can be extremely disruptive. If the learning software doesn’t work, you may end up with spending more time with the software than learning the material.
- Virtual learning in times of quarantine intensifies the feeling of isolation. You are constantly fed statistics and news articles about the Coronavirus. It seems it’s the only thing we talk about.
Margie had been hoping they’d take the teacher away altogether
Is life really better without a flesh-and-blood teacher? Your thoughts.
- Teachers can support and encourage students academically and emotionally in a way that a computer cannot.
- It’s almost as if you don’t have an authority that tells you what to do with your studies anymore. You are completely in control of your school-life and the success of it depends mostly on you.
A teacher has to be adjusted to fit the mind of each boy and girl it teaches
- With the Online Learning it is difficult to do so . We are ‘’blocked’’ in a platform and we don’t have a lot of space to communicate our ideas or our doubts.
- 1 to 1 meetings are essential because they can help the teachers know what has to be done and improved and work collaboratively with the students.
- In normal classes, for teachers it is still very hard to fit and adjust themselves in the mind of every student
Virtual learning? What’s there to learn about virtual learning?
- Using technology and applications to video chat in lessons.
- Adapting to the situation and putting in as much effort as possible.
- Despite popular belief, school still requires you to wake up early for your classes.
- You see your classmates but you can’t actually talk to them . So for once there isn’t the problem of speaking in Italian.
- Virtual learning is something one must adjust to as the great majority of the time one is working alone on a computer. You learn that it is important to take breaks to prevent growing overwhelmed with work.
- I didn’t think I would have said it but I miss seeing my classmates and hearing them screaming.